Update: First Month in Kuala Lumpur

It’s been a while since I last blogged and I thought I should make an update before you all think that I am dead. If you read my previous blog post, you would know that I moved to Kuala Lumpur earlier this month to start my first job after graduation. It has been an exciting ride adapting into my new environment and work life in the past few weeks. 

Although I lived in Kuala Lumpur for a year before I moved to Canada, I was rather nervous about moving into the city again. Five years ago when I was here, I was here as an 18-year-old student who didn’t explicitly feel the need of being responsible or independent. I had a boyfriend who would take care of me and drive me around to wherever I needed to go, and my sister was also living here. This time around, I no longer have dependents living close to me. I am living all by myself, driving and navigating around on my own, working full time and trying to be financially responsible, and learning to adapt back to the Malaysian culture which has become foreign to me after being away for so long. 

Fortunately, I am blessed with so many amazing friends who helped make my transition so much easier. When I was looking for a place to stay, my university friend (who’s from Malaysia) offered me a place that is 15 minutes away from my work place. On the first day I moved in and was feeling rather emotional, my high school friend invited me over and made me dinner. When I needed to go back to my hometown two weeks ago, my college friend offered to drive me back while I take him on a tour around the little town of Batu Pahat. When my phone broke down two days ago and I had no other means of communication, another college friend drove over to my place and lent me an old phone. Lastly, friendly and welcoming coworkers from my new workplace only made my transition all the more pleasant.

In terms of lifestyle, I am slowly getting used to the 9 to 7 office life and the complementary traffic jam that comes along with it. My 15 minutes drive usually turns into 40 minutes during peak hours, which I had learned to utilize by chatting with friends and family through speaker phone or hosting concerts on my own. Sometimes, I would head to the fitness studio near my work place for gym or yoga right after work to avoid the jam. Although I get home at around 9-10PM after that, the workout sessions always leave me energized and happy at the end of the day. I am glad that I am able to maintain my #FitLife despite my tight schedule, but I am still trying to squeeze out more time for resting and socializing. Time has become even more precious now that it is being dominated by work.

Although the past few weeks hadn’t been the easiest, what with a broken phone, a corneal abrasion on my left eye, countless hours spent getting lost on the highway and an almost empty bank account, I am proud to announce that I survived my first month of work in Kuala Lumpur. It is a very different lifestyle and landscape from what I am accustomed to in the past four years, but I am trying my best to assimilate and appreciate it. Here’s a picture of my girl Celia and I in front of the iconic Twin Towers of Malaysia, Selamat Hari Merdeka everybody!